Tuesday 10 July 2012

Not feeling the Olympic Spirit here...

So, the Olympic torch was passing through my town yesterday and I finished work just before it was due to arrive. Did I stay around? Of course not! Why? Well:
1. It would have been impossible to get home, since my buses would have stopped running
2. I'm getting a little sick of the Olympics already, and they haven't even started yet.
3. It was basically a giant advert for Coca-Cola and that kind of annoyed me.

Indeed, it seems I am, in fact, a middle aged woman trapped in a teenage body. This won't come as a surprise to many, but I myself was somewhat shocked by my inability to give a flying f**k about a bit of history passing through my town. However, it did get me thinking about what the Olympics would be like if they were held somewhere else. Let's say perhaps (I bet you can see this coming) in the Pokémon world.

I decided that the Olympics would probably be held in Unova since this seems to be the most heavily populated place, in particular Castelia City. In line with the whole Olympic Torch thing, I was thinking how these celebrations would be done in such a place, and I thought that rather than having an inanimate torch it would be much more fun to have one of the cuter Pokémon of the new generation act as the torch. Yes, I'm talking about Litwick! And so these drawings were made:


For those who like monochrome, and those who like technicolour.
I also had a crack at designing a quick logo, because what is an Olympics without a suitable logo? (I'm ignoring the London 2012 monstrosity here) I also thought that as well as being the Olympic flame, Litwick could be the Olympic mascot a la The Beijing Fuwa.

Top is Mandeville and Wenlock. Bottom is The Fuwa. I know which I prefer. It's not the one from my country.
 Anyway, Happy Olympic Madness everyone! I hope you feel the Olympic Spirit more than I do, and if you have tickets for the games, I'm not at all jealous.

Honest.

What I'm listening to: In line with my new image as a middle aged woman, I have rediscovered The Best of Phil Collins. Another Day in Paradise is a most excellent song. I was definitely not singing it on the bus this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment